Saturday, July 20, 2013

where's the romance, dammit?

Whatever happened to good, old fashioned dating?  Seriously.  
I want to see some cute couple on an awkward first date; fingertips barely touching across the table.  I don't want to see a guy with his pants at his knees holding a girl's ass as they walk into the gas station for cheap vodka.  I don't want to see a girl dreaming of a picket fence and hopelessly pinning over a guy with no interest in her except the attention she's giving him and the countless favors it comes with.  I don't want to see a man spending all his money on taking care of a girl who spends her time with someone else.  I don't want to see a girl going back to the first girl she met right out of the closet because she's afraid of the game on the other team.  I want to see shy glances and flowers and a man walking a girl to her door, giving her a goodnight kiss, and turning around to go home. 

Is that too much to ask?
Does that mean my views on love have been biased by Disney and various romantic comedies and my parent's and grandparent's own love stories?
Is this just the time we live in?
In a world of 'baby mama's' and rap, Twilight and Taylor Swift, does the good stuff still exist? 

I've seen proof that it does.  It's rare, but it's out there.  It's a shame that there are so many people out there afraid to be alone, afraid to wait and work to find the good stuff, that they take whatever they can get.  Love as we known it, knew it, may be becoming extinct.  
Or I'm just incredibly pessimistic.  Either one.  
“I've been making a list of the things they don't teach you at school. They don't teach you how to love somebody...They don't teach you how to walk away from someone you don't love any longer. They don't teach you how to know what's going on in someone else's mind...They don't teach you anything worth knowing.” -Neil Gaiman
And some people never learn on their own...
I want to see real, 1960's type romance. 
 Or maybe something along these lines. :]

No comments:

Post a Comment