Thursday, August 22, 2013

heart

"It could be all that smoking, you know.  Smoking two cigarettes in less than ten minutes can make you dizzy."
She stares at me from the tall, cold, awkward-paper-covered exam bed. She knows I'm right, but she doesn't want to admit it. 
"You have pretty blue eyes like me, Laura. I just noticed that." 
All I have time for is a smile before the doctor walks in and immediately starts asking questions. 
"Is it worse when you turn your head?"
"No, just when I'm walking." Then, the most Oscar-worthy moment I've seen from a client. She turns her head as far to the right as possible and jerks it back to the front, hands on her ears with her mouth open. Home Alone style. "Oh! I lied. It does get worse when I turn my head."
And just like that, we got sent to HyVee for Gatorade while the nurse got a heart monitor ready.  Don't get me wrong, I love the better safe than sorry approach when it comes to someone's life, but oh, the drama this girl will create with one of those. 

I am always right. We got the monitor on a Friday and by Monday, she had called the monitoring center 14 times. 
No, they had not seen any irregularities. 
Yes, the monitor is functioning fine. 
No, there's nothing else you need to do. 
I can handle two and a half more weeks of this, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment